Thursday, April 8, 2010

Life Size

I hate having my picture taken. Some people say that, but I really mean it. I am not photogenic and I hate fake smiles.

Finley Hospital's graphic designer sent out an email to all the Administrative Assistants and said she wanted to take our photo for National Administrative Day. But the time she wanted to take the photo, I was unavailable, so I declined.

Several days later, my co-worker, another AA, said I should contact the graphic designer and she could photoshop me into the photo.

I thought, "Ok, that would work. Except I hate having my photo taken."

But my co-worker was very persistent and said the photo would only be on a bulletin board at the hospital for one day and that I should be proud to be an AA at Finley.

She talked me into it. I contacted the graphic designer who was thrilled I was going to be in the photo. The graphic designer teased me saying "You and Pam are the only ones that weren't in the photo!"

Immediately I contacted Pam and said "You HAVE to be in this photo with me!! If I can do it, you can do it. It's only up for one day!"

I should mention that Pam is young and gorgeous.

Pam reluctantly said "ok."

Quickly I primped. I was still sporting my Mexican tan. My hair was just ok. I ratted it up a tad and adjusted my shirt so my bra strap wouldn't show. I pinched my cheeks for that 3:00pm color. This was as good as it would get. "Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my close up!"

We contacted the graphic designer and snap snap had our pictures taken together. The graphic designer said this was the third year Finley recognized the AAs this way and this was the first year ALL the AAs said they would be in the photo!! The graphic designer said the photo would be on display the WEEK of 4-22. Week? Did she say WEEK? Pam growled.

The graphic designer then told us she would contact us to tell us exactly where the photo would be posted.

Pam and I laughed and said we would come with black permanent markers and black out our faces. We had a good chuckle over that.

Yesterday I receive an email from the graphic designer with the photo proof and said, "Hi Ladies. Here is the proof of what the photo will look like on the billboard."

Say that again??? Billboard? NO NO NO. That was NOT in our original conversation. I emailed her back and said "What happened to bulletin board!!!"

She responded, "Oh, it will be on the bulletin board at the hospital, TOO!"

As soon as that email went out to all of us AA's from the graphic designer, Pam emailed me and said, "WE ARE GOING TO BE ON A BILLBOARD?" Apparently, Pam was not happy.

But I took a good look at the photo. There are 8 of us AAs at Finley. All ages and sizes. I am RIGHT in the center of the photo. Right next to Pam. In the middle of the photo. But it's not terribly disgusting. My eyes are open and I am smiling. Actually I am laughing. Pam is looking pretty good as well! Ok, this is do-able.

I email the graphic designer back and say, "Ok, I'm in. Where is this billboard?"

At the busiest intersection in Dubuque! Not in some remote location that only 10 cars would see. I will be life size on a billboard for a week for all of Dubuque to see. Me and 7 of my closest AA friends. And it's a digital billboard as well!!! Of course it is......

Next year Pam and I decided that we will be wearing sunglasses and large hats for our photo shoot. I also plan to wear sunglasses and a large hat around town the week the billboard is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment