Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A shoe

I went to Mpls this past weekend to get out of town for a few days. I was in a hurry to get on the road and I packed very quickly. Packing can be done in 10 minutes if need be. I threw on a pair of capris and some flip flops and started my road trip.

There is just something about driving that I enjoy. Maybe it's a control thing that I like mastering the automobile. Maybe it's just leaving all the troubles behind and looking forward to a new adventure. Or maybe it's just singing on the top of my lungs to Adam Lambert and nobody is there to complain.

The weather is always a little cooler in MN than Iowa. That 5 hours does make a 10 degree difference. I'm glad I packed some socks and tennies, and long pants, which I wore the next day.

I had a nice visit with my mother and sister. We went non-stop. I love to spend my sister's money and she was looking for a table for her living room. No bargain shopping for her! We went to thee nicest furniture stores in the suburbs. The kind where the salespeople look you over before asking if you need help.

We must have walked for miles when my left shoe started to rub. I looked down at my tennies and was aghast! I had on two different tennis shoes!! How could this be? Wasn't I the one that actually put on these shoes myself this morning? How could I not see that they were different!! And I'm not talking about a subtle difference. One was pure white and the other was white with navy accents!!

I stood there. In the fancy furniture store. In Minneapolis staring at my shoes. I looked at my sister and mother and just pointed down.

Ya gotta love family. My sister says, "Well, isn't THAT attractive!" My mother proceeds to tell me the time SHE wore different shoes to church...... Apparently, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I am still staring at my shoes. Embarrassed to be me.

I had no other shoes except my flip flops which were miles away in my suitcase. I was stuck with unmatched shoes for the rest of the day. And of course, now that I knew my shoes were not matching, I felt I had a funny gait to my walk. And that everyone was snickering behind my back saying "Did you see that old lady? Do you think she doesn't know she has on two different shoes?"

But then I decided I was a fashionista! I was making a fashion statement. Anyone can wear matching shoes! But to be so confident, so novel, so inventive as to wear two different tennies was just, well, down right daring!!

So to all of you that have worn unmatched socks, unmatched gloves, unmatched earrings, I join you proudly. We are the ones that set the curve. As my father used to say, "People are going to talk about you. At least give them something to talk about!!"

2 comments:

  1. I also love driving! That must also run in the family. Great story!

    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love driving - I never have a choice to be the rider or driver anymore. There is nothing I love more than to have someone offer to drive now. Your story was even more funny than I remember it in person. Love your writing dear sister.

    ReplyDelete